Communications and briefings for Welcome and Orientation 2015
01 Jul 2015
This is a brief update on planned communications from central teams to students coming to the University in September, and an invitation to information sessions about Welcome and Orientation activities
This year’s centrally-managed communications to September’s intake has undergone some changes since 2014. The main channels for incoming students are:
- the ‘Get Ready’ guide – two versions, one for UK students, and one for EU and international students, featuring all of the essential processes they need to complete to join the University (such as IT sign-up and registration, and International Check-in), and also details of the Orientation services for EU and international students;
- the ‘Manchester Welcome’ guide – one version with all of the centrally-managed Welcome and Orientation activities, as well as prominent signposting of the School inductions and Halls of Residence activities;
- the Welcome website – live from 3 July and updated throughout the summer with useful information about the Welcome period and essential processes; and,
- eAdvantage – the continuing email bulletins which are sent to all offer holders in the lead up to the Welcome period.
The two publications – ‘Get Ready’ and ‘Manchester Welcome’ will be sent directly to students’ mailing addresses from July onwards (for international and EU offer holders and unconditional firm postgraduates) or following Confirmation and Clearing (for UK undergraduates). Further details of these channels is available at:
- Welcome intranet pages for staff (login required)
Please note that there is now no ‘Crucial Guide’ publication. While the existing online ‘Crucial Guide Live’ will continue to be in use for this September’s intake, the Crucial Guide as an umbrella term will no longer be promoted, and the content currently found on Crucial Guide Live will be redistributed to more prominent information, advice and guidance services as part of the major My Manchester Improvement Project. There is no change to the current Crucial Guide Live online information for this September, and you can continue to signpost to registration and other information there throughout this intake.
If you have any queries about this, please contact:
- Pete Morris, Student Communications and Marketing Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome and Orientation information sessions
Any member of staff who is involved in Welcome and Orientation is also invited to come along to an information session. These hour-long sessions will cover the communications and publications, and the centrally-coordinated activities of Welcome, Orientation and AskMe for September’s intake in more detail, as well as explaining how people can find out more and get involved in these activities.
The sessions will take place on:
- Wednesday, 8 July (12-1pm) in University Place 6.207;
- Monday, 13 July (12-1pm) in University Place 6.212; and
- Tuesday, 14 July (1-2pm) in University Place 6.213.
For more information about the sessions, or to register your interest, please contact:
- Karen Badat, Senior International Officer, at Karen.Badat@manchester.ac.uk