Fire strikes announced
18 Feb 2015
The Fire and Rescue Services across England and Wales have announced another strike for 24 hours from 7am on Wednesday, 25 February to 7am on Thursday, 26 February
Firefighters are due to take industrial action, which means there will be greatly reduced fire cover across the country.
It is important to note that the Fire Service are still intending to respond to emergencies. However, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service have stated that they will be responding differently to emergencies: they will have limited fire engines available and firefighters riding them will not be trained to the same level as current crews. A
At this time more than ever you need to think about fire safety and road safety and take extra care to protect yourself and your loved ones at home, work and on the roads.
Further details are available online at:
- Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service
- Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service
General fire safety advice during strike
The following advice from the University is aimed at creating a safe environment during the strike:
- Keep escape routes free from obstacles and check signage and emergency lighting is working and in place.
- Keep fire doors shut.
- Switch off any electrical equipment when not in use.
- Know your emergency escape route.
- If you have a fire, “Get Out - Stay Out” and call University Security on internal line 69966.