New autumn programme of CPD skill sharing masterclasses for academic staff
15 Sep 2014
More than 300 participants took part in the first academic masterclasses and a new series has been launched for the autumn
Led by leading academics and support staff, the University is helping staff with their Continuing Professional Development (CPD). CPD involves identifying and planning your training and reflecting on learning and development. The masterclass sessions cover a wide range of topics including: managing research centres, supporting the career development of researchers, teaching large lectures, being a programme director and finance skills for principal investigators.
Training and learning can be a catalyst for new ways of thinking and for ensuring you have the right combination of skills. It can help you work in new ways, save you time and support you in working effectively with colleagues and the University’s support services.
Dr Kingsley Purdam, Director for Academic Staff Training and Development at the University, said: “The interest in the masterclasses has been really surprising. There is clearly an appetite amongst academics to share their skills and experiences. We have continued to invest in the programme with new masterclasses. Academic staff are also encouraged to keep an Academic Training Record and to reflect on how useful the training has been. Staff can use the ‘My Profile Training’ tool record hosted on the STDU website. The ongoing undertaking of professional training is increasingly seen as an important part of academic staff career development and is identified in personal development reviews.”
Each masterclass includes tea and coffee and the opportunity to share experiences with fellow academics.
Places are limited. You can book your place online at:
- STDU Training Catalogue (just type in ‘CPD’ into the search tool)
Upcoming Masterclasses for autumn 2014
- CPD 5 Advanced Teaching Skills 1 - Advanced Approaches for Delivering Large Group Lectures
- CPD 14 Academic Leadership Skills 6 - How to Peer Review Teaching
- CPD 15 Academic Leadership Skills 7 - How to Be An Appointment Panel Member and Chair
- CPD 16 Impact Skills 4 - Engaging With Stakeholders and Building Impact Into Grant Applications
- CPD 17 Advanced Publishing Skills 2 - Meeting the Editor - How to Be a Journal Reviewer/Editor
- CPD 18 Academic Leadership Skills 8 – Work-life Balance and Managing Competing Demands
- CPD 19 Advanced Publishing Skills 3 - How To Make the Most of Open Access Publishing
- CPD 20 Advanced Teaching Skills 2 - How To Help Students Prepare for Small Group Teaching
- CPD 21 Advanced Teaching Skills 3 - Supporting Students Well Being
- CPD 22 Academic Leadership Skills 9 - Social Responsibility In Your Teaching and Research
- CPD 23 Principal Investigator Skills 4 - Managing Your Research Data
Previous CPD masterclasses for academics include: Managing Research Groups, Finance Skills, Being a Programme Director, Skills for Chairing Meetings and Using Social Media.
More masterclasses and training opportunities will be added in the coming months.
If you have any suggestions for topics to be covered or would like to give a masterclass yourself, please contact: