Annual Cycle Event (ACE 2014)
11 Jun 2014
The popular Corridor partners Annual Cycle Event (ACE 2014) is just around the corner and is back at the University this year: taking place all day on Wednesday 18 June, outside University Place, there is plenty on offer for current and potential cyclists alike
Remember, the event is for all staff at The University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, Central Manchester NHS Trust and Royal Northern College of Music.
There’s so much happening! (and not just on the day) Here’s a very quick run through….
For those thinking of cycling
Free bike hire in June and July
Want to try cycling to work? The partners have male and female bikes available to trial cycling for a week in June and July. You will also be provided with a helmet, secure lock and everything you need to get started.
To express an interest, email:
Free home bike servicing in June and July
Been meaning to drag your old bike out of the garage or shed? We are offering 50 lucky potential cyclists the opportunity to get a free home bike service to help them get back on the road.
Just tell us in no more than 200 words why you feel the service would help you get back cycling again!
Learn to ride sessions on campus
It’s never too late to learn! We have arranged for a morning and afternoon Learn to Ride session to take place outside University Place on Saturday 28th June. Transport for Greater Manchester co-ordinate these very popular courses. 12 places are available on each course.
- Transport for Greater Manchester: Cycling, click on ‘free adult cycle training’ and find the online booking form
Buddies and cycle training from home to work
Need a little support on 18 June or over the summer? The partners have a wonderful band of volunteers offering support across Greater Manchester. They’ll ride in with you from your local area and give hints and tips along the way.
If there isn’t a buddy in your area TfGM offer 1:1 cycle training which you can book from your front door to your office! Find out more about both options here.
At the event
At the event on Wednesday, you’ll find a whole host of information, activities and more.
Here are the highlights:
- FREE Breakfast from 8.15am to 11.30am for all those that register (voucher required)
- Try a bike – a selection of conventional and quirky bikes for all to try (including a six-seater megabike!)
- Bike Sale from 12pm to 2pm
- Puncture repair workshops on the hour from 10am – 2pm
- A Brompton Folding Competition at 1230pm (and throughout the day, see below)
- A chance to win a brand new £350 bike!
- Security marking and lock sale
- Information on the Velocity Wilmslow Road to Didsbury cycle lane consultation
- Freebies, information, Dr Bikes, Electric bike trials, smoothie bikes and much more…
Competitions and prizes
Photo competition – to win £50 to spend in a local bike shop.
Tweet us your best pics on the day using:
- #ace2014 to @oxfordrdcycle
Brompton Folding Competition – bring your own or borrow a Brompton (courtesy of Brompton Dock) to see who can fold one the quickest! A prize on offer to the winner!
To speed up registration, enter a prize draw and help us with planning please register in advance at:
Spread the word
Please spread the word of this great event and bring colleagues with you. All welcome, on bikes or on foot.
Keep in touch
If there are staff who do have access to email but would like to know more, please ask them to contact: