Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type



We are sorry that you may be reading this following the loss of a loved one. We will do our best to support you with pension information at this difficult time.

Please make initial contact by phone or email. We are happy to schedule a phone call back to you at a convenient time, to ensure we have the right team member available to discuss possible entitlements from the pension scheme following the death of your loved one.

It would be helpful if you have the following information to hand ahead of contacting us to report the death of a loved one:

  • Date of Death
  • Details of spouse or other potential dependant(s)
  • Confirmation on current status of bank account
  • Confirmation on whether your loved one left a Will

In order to process payment of any potential entitlements from the scheme, we would require sight of original/certified copy original certificates, as below

  • Death Certificate
  • Spouse’s/Dependant’s birth certificate, if applicable
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership certificate, if applicable

We will always return original certificates to you immediately following receipt. Alternatively, if more convenient, you can call into our office with the relevant certificates so that we can note them for our records.

How to contact us


Telephone: 0161 275 2043 (Ext 52043)

Death in service benefit

In the event of death in service the University will pay a death-in-service grant. This will be paid at the University’s discretion to the partner of the deceased or to his/her dependant children or to (an) other dependant(s), as notified to Human Resources, on the following basis:

  • for staff with up to five years service – one month’s salary
  • for staff with over five years service – three months’ salary

When you notified your loved one's line manager they will have initiated this payment on your behalf.

Related links

What to do when someone dies via 

Bereavement support via Cruse Bereavement Care or freephone on 0808 808 1677

What to do with someone's pension after death via