Accessing Power BI
Expand the sections below to find out more about accessing Power BI, requesting access to the jumpbox, and requesting access to view specific apps or reports.
If you already have access to Power BI, follow these steps to log in:
- Use the following link to access to login screen: https://app.powerbi.com/home
- You should see a Microsoft box asking you to "pick an account" - please choose your University account (the @manchester.ac.uk email address). All access permissions are linked to your University account.
You may see a message asking "Already have an account?" - if this happens, please click on the "SIGN IN" button directly beneath the message.
Please note that you may get an error message saying "You cannot access this right now" - if this happens, please see the guidance below on whether you need access to the jumpbox or should be remotely accessing on onsite PC.
- You will be taken through a series of windows asking you to login with your institutional login details. You will also be prompted for your 2-factor (2FA) authentication from Duo - more information about Duo is available here.
Access to Workforce Information is restricted offsite.
- If you are working offsite and are using a University of Manchester laptop, you will need access to the jumpbox in order to access/view the data in Power BI
- If you are working offsite but are remotely accessing an onsite PC, you will not need access to the jumpbox
- If you are working onsite and are using an onsite PC, you will not need access to the jumpbox
Please note that we have a limited amount of licences for jumpbox access - please do not apply for it if you have access to an onsite PC (either remotely or in person).
Guidance on requesting access to the jumpbox is available below.
If you have established that you need access to the jumpbox (see above for guidance), you will need to submit an access request via the IT Support Portal.
The request form can be found here - alternatively, you can log in to the support portal, click on 'Request Support' and search for Power BI.
Once in the form, select the 'Other Power BI request' option and complete the details box - you should clearly state that you need access to the jumpbox, and provide the justification.
There isn't much overall difference between the two licence types.
Both allow you to create reports and dashboards for personal use, and both can consume reports produced and published by others.
Please note that users are not allowed to share the contents of any Workforce Information that is provided on a standard report, and are unable to create reports based on Workforce Information.
The Standard Power BI Licence will cover the requirements for the majority of users.
You will only need a Pro Licence if you will be creating and developing reports for the wider business to consume. For Workforce Information, this type of licence is limited to a small group of developers within People and OD Systems.
More information about the types of Power BI licence is available here, on the IT Support Portal.
Every member of staff at the University should already have access to a Standard Power BI Licence.
This type of licence will allow you to log in to Power BI and view published content that you have been given access to. Guidance on requesting access to specific data is available below.
- Access to a Pro Licence is only required in some circumstances and is limited to certain roles - more information about the different licence types is available above
- Access to Workforce Information is managed on a case-by-case basis - it is not freely available to all at this time
All requests to access an existing app/report within Power BI should be submitted via the IT Support Portal.
The request form can be found here - alternatively, you can log in to the support portal, click on 'Request Support', and search for Power BI.
If you would like to request any of the followng, please follow the guidance in the Requesting or Amending Reports section:
- Request a new report
- Request an update/change to an existing report
- Make an ad hoc reporting request