Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Private Car

A mileage allowance will be paid if you use your own vehicle for business journeys.

For longer journeys, staff should first consider whether using a hire car would be cheaper. Staff should share cars wherever possible.

Where a mileage allowance is claimed, you may only claim for mileage that is over and above your normal home to work journey. Mileage from home to your permanent place of work is not normally reimbursable, except in special circumstances such as emergency out of hours call outs.

If you travel from home to a destination other than your usual place of work, you should claim for the lower of:

  • Travel from your normal place of work to the destination
  • Travel from home to the destination

All distances travelled must be recorded at the time of the journey. Any payment in respect of mileage from home to your normal place of work is taxable in accordance with HMRC rules.

If you are using your own car you must ensure that your insurance policy covers business use.

Full journey details should be included in the claim in order to allow proper and complete checking of the journey on in-house software.

Any journeys claimed that are greater than the figures defined by the in-house software are adjusted accordingly, and it is therefore important to indicate where journeys have involved a longer distance than would normally be expected.

Back to all Expenses Categories