Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Accommodation and Meals

All hotel accommodation must be booked through the official University of Manchester Travel Management Partner - Key Travel.

Please visit the Directorate of Finance Travel page for more information on booking travel and accommodation through Key Travel.

Out-of-pocket expenses covering meals and other incidental travel costs can be reclaimed. The University does not prescribe a daily rate for subsistence, but reasonable costs can be reclaimed as long as a valid receipt is submitted to support the expenditure.

Staff who make business journeys greater than five miles from their normal (designated) place of work or are away on University business for more than five hours are entitled to claim subsistence costs. This will typically include meals which may be claimed on the presentation of receipts.

Staff who, as part of their employment, make business journeys of less than five miles from their normal (designated) place of work or are away from work for a period of less than five hours can only claim subsistence costs if the event is classed as a working event.


The University will reimburse costs that are wholly, necessarily, and exclusively required for University purposes.

The University will pay for only one alcoholic drink per person per day when staff are on University business. A drink is defined as a single glass of wine or pint of beer.

This applies regardless of the source of funds and covers subsistence (if staff are away on University business) and business entertainment (when non-University staff are present).

The University will not reimburse hotel minibar bills.

Back to all Expenses Categories