Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet

Travel to high-risk countries

If you are planning a University trip to a country on our list of high-risk countries, you must:

  • Prepare a specific risk assessment for high-risk countries
  • Seek specific approval from your Head of School/Directorate (who should refer the trip for approval to the Faculty Dean/Vice President if the country is of extreme risk), prior to booking travel. 

If you are planning a University trip to an area where the Foreign Commonwealth Office has advised ‘against all travel’ or ‘against all but essential travel’, you must:

If you need help preparing your risk assessment, contact your School/local safety advisor; your School or Department office will be able to provide you with the details of your safety advisor.

Academic supervisors must escalate their students’ trips to the Head of School or Faculty Dean for pre-approval.


You must complete an AIG travel review questionnaire and send it to to seek insurance cover confirmation before travelling to the following countries:

  • Cuba
  • Iran
  • North Korea
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Ukraine, Crimea region

Booking your trip

If the trip is fully or partially funded by the University, or paid through a University account by a third party, the trip must be arranged through the University’s appointed travel booking agent, Key Travel.

Complex trips can be booked directly with the agent, rather than online.