UK business travel and fieldwork
In general, business travel activities (such as conferences, meetings and events) in the UK only require staff and students to read a generic risk assessment prior to travel. You do not need to read this before every trip.
For trips that pose further risks, such as travelling in bad weather or to remote or dangerous locations, or an individual’s specific needs, the above risk assessment can be adapted to include additional hazards or circumstances and the control measures implemented.
If you are carrying out fieldwork in the UK:
- Follow the University’s health and safety requirements
- Review or adapt a generic risk assessment for low/moderate risk fieldwork in the UK
For fieldwork that poses further risks, such as travelling in bad weather or to remote locations, or an individual’s specific needs, the risk assessment can be adapted to include additional hazards or circumstances and the control measures implemented.
Booking your trip
If you need help completing your risk assessment or specific advice on your trip, contact your School or local safety advisor; your School or Department office will be able to provide you with the details of your safety advisor.
To book your trip, please visit:
Emergency contact details
During travel, please ensure that you have the following emergency contact details with you in case an emergency incident occurs while you are away:
- University security office: +44(0)161 306 9966
- Key Travel: +44(020 7843 9602
- AIG emergency assistance: +44(0)1273 727416
- University insurance office: +44 (0)161 275 2243 email@example.com