Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet


External funding

There are a number of external sources of funding available to student parents.

Staff may wish to direct students to the Students' Union for further advice.

Student Finance implications

If a student is studying a full time UK undergraduate course and have to take time out due to pregnancy or caring responsibilities, they may be able to request that their student finance continues to be paid during their period of interruption. This is a decision entirely at the discretion of their assessment authority (eg Student Finance England). Students should assessment authority for further advice.

Students will likely be asked to make a written request asking for their student finance to continue to be paid to them during their interruption. It may be beneficial if students are able to provide supporting evidence outlining the financial difficulties or hardship they would experience if their student finance payments ceased, as well as outlining why they are unable to find alternative sources of income. Students should also provide evidence of any ongoing financial commitments they have (eg mortgage or rent payments).