Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet

Services and contacts

Need help from another team? Here are the most frequently accessed services.

A full A-Z listing of University services can be found on the student support website.

Advice and Response

Students can access specialist, confidential advice and support on a range of issues including sexual assault, harassment and hate crime by requesting to speak to an advisor through Report and Support.

Alternatively, staff can refer students to the Advice and Response team by emailing If you need further advice on a case, you can call 0161 275 5780 (please note that this number is for staff use only).

An advisor will work with students to deliver support in the most accessible way for them - face-to-face, through video-calls, telephone appointments or via email.

Careers Service

Our Careers Service offers students everything they need to take control of their future and give themseleves the best chance of securing their ideal job after graduation.

There is also lots of information, resources and contacts for staff to help you support students.

Counselling and Mental Health Services

The Counselling and Mental Health Services offer counselling appointments, workshops, and self-help resources to staff and students.

You can refer a student to the Counselling and Mental Health Services with their permission, or they can refer themselves.

Disabled students

The University has particular legal responsibilities around disability. These means that if a student discloses a disability to you, or if you become aware that they might have a disability, you must offer them a referral to the Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS).

Students who have declared a disability will be given a support plan, and each school has a disability coordinator who is the main link between the student and DASS.

DASS and Occupational Health share a referral form and procedure which should always be used when referring students.

DASS provide guidance for staff supporting disabled students and have also produced the below documents regarding mitigating circumstances and automatic extensions:

Library/My Learning Essentials

Students can access workshops and online resources to help their academic learning and personal development through My Learning Essentials, the Library's award-winning skills programme. 

My Learning Essentials can also help you support your students’ needs.  You can embed specific resources into your course to meet your learning objectives, or recommend our open programme of non-degree specific skills support designed for all students. Find out more here.

Money advice

Financial administration

The Student Services Centre can help with any questions about the administration of tuition fees, registration, council tax, funding payments (they also cover immigration, visas, exams and graduation). They're based on Burlington Street near to the Alan Gilbert Learning Commons (number 57 on the campus map). The phone number is 0161 275 5000.

Managing money

There's also lots of information advice and tips to help students develop skills to make their money go further, search for funding opportunities or learn more about their current funding/finances and find the answers to any specific questions they may have.

If a student is struggling with their finances or wants to make the most of their money, please refer them to the student support website. If the answer can't be found on the website, their contact details can be found on the student support homepage.

Students' Union Advice Service

 The Advice Service in the Students' Union can provide advice for students that is independent of the University, so is a useful place to refer students for guidance on issues around appeals, complaints, etc. They also support students with money, accommodation and wellbeing issues.


The Reslife programme runs across all University owned halls of residence, providing support to students, including at evenings and weekends.

You can help a student contact the ResLife team for their hall through this link

School Support

Each academic school will have a support office or equivalent who can help support a student's wellbeing and academic life. 

Self help

There are a variety of self-help resources that students can access alongside more formal support. These are brought together on the student support website taking care of yourself section and include audio downloads, NHS information leaflets on common mental health problems and online interactive programmes.