Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Living costs

It is difficult to estimate how much you will need to meet basic living expenses such as accommodation costs, heating, food, daily travel and other necessities. Actual costs will depend on individual circumstances. Private rented accommodation costs are likely to be your major expense and will vary considerably.

Supplementing your income

Please don't expect to be able to earn additional money. You are not allowed to undertake work paid or unpaid additional to that for which you have been given permission by the Home Office. (This prohibition does not extend to EEA nationals).

The entitlement of your spouse to undertake employment will be dependent upon the conditions of entry. The ability or prohibition to undertake employment should be clear from the immigration stamp placed in the passport. If in doubt, you may find help through: 

Children's needs

If you decide to bring your family, the UK does have facilities for your children. If you are considering bringing a child or children to Manchester please read the following notes carefully.

Children aged four years and under

Childcare for children under four years of age is not usually available free of charge in the UK. The range and cost of childcare varies considerably, but it is generally expensive. You should expect to pay at least £35 per day per child for childcare.

Day nurseries

Nurseries accept pre-school children from as young as three months but the exact age will vary at each nursery. There are two nurseries on the University campus:

  • The Dryden Street Nursery
    tel +44 (0)161 272 7121
  • Echoes Day Nursery
    tel +44 (0)161 200 4979

There is a wide range of nurseries available in Greater Manchester and you should find one that meets your needs and requirements. With Dryden Street Nursery, Echoes Day Nursery and other nurseries you should not assume you will be able to obtain a place immediately; your child/children will probably have to be placed on a waiting list.


There are a number of registered childminders in the Greater Manchester area (childminders are people who look after children in their homes in return for payment). You are advised to contact the Manchester Children's Information Service on tel. +44 (0)161 234 7111.

Nursery Schools

Most primary schools in Manchester have a nursery class which children attend on a part-time basis (morning or afternoon) from the age of three. There is no charge for this but there is usually a waiting list for places.


There are also playgroups which children over two and a half years old can attend on a part time basis.

Children over the age of four

Children in the UK begin school in the September after their fourth birthday. The earliest they can leave is at the age of 17. If your employment will keep you in the UK for a period of twelve months or more, then they are required by law to attend school. The Local Education Authority will provide a place, free of charge, for them in a school near your place of residence. Lists of schools can be obtained from Manchester Council's Education Department. There are also private schools in Manchester for which you pay fees. For all information relating to schools, please visit:

Many schools in Manchester employ specialist staff to help children whose first language is not English. You will need to check with the headteacher of the school you are considering for your child to find out what language assistance is available. School hours are normally from 9am to 3:30pm, however some schools may start earlier and/or end later. In addition, many schools run after-school activities and/or clubs in which your child may be eligible to participate. Please check these details with the school. If you require further assistance in finding a school for your child, you should contact the International Advice Team on tel. +44 (0)161 275 5000.

Primary schools

Primary schools cater for pupils from 5 years to 11 years, they can be split into Infant School for 5-7 year olds and Junior Schools for 7-11 year olds.

Usually children go straight from primary school to secondary/high school at age 11, however, some areas operate middle schools (age 10 - 14).

Secondary schools

Young people in the UK are required to stay in some form of education or training until the end of the academic year in which they turn 17 (or until their 18th birthday from 2015). This does not necessarily mean staying in school, there are other options for full or part-time education or training, or apprenticeships.