Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type


Accommodation must be a priority if you are coming to live in Manchester. However, it is very difficult to arrange accommodation in the UK while you are abroad. Many staff and visitors make arrangements temporarily to stay in bed and breakfast or hotel accommodation while viewing prospective properties.

How to find out about property

When you arrive in Manchester you will find there are two places that you can visit for advice on accommodation. The Accommodation Office can answer your queries on University-owned Halls of Residence, while Manchester Student Homes can advise you on private halls, houses, flats, houseshares and rooms in owners' homes.

However, the University has very little accommodation available to visitors of staff since accommodation is primarily allocated to students. You should not commit to any private accommodation without seeing it but you should arrive one to two weeks early to give yourself time to search before your work starts.

Manchester student Homes can email you a list of hotels, hostels and B&Bs in Manchester and answer any other queries by email or phone before you arrive. If you have access to the internet, you can view properties registered with Manchester Student Homes before you arrive, at:

It is a good idea to check with the department which you are visiting or joining as they may have knowledge of accommodation locally available.

Manchester has numerousletting agencies which caneasily be found with an internet search. This link may also prove useful:

There are also a number of properties available on the University intranet:

Types of accommodation available

There are a number of different types of private sector accommodation available in Manchester:

  • Houses shared by groups of individuals living as one unit
  • Single bed-sitting rooms and flatlets
  • Rooms in premises occupied by owners
  • Self-contained flats

Furnishings and facilities

Furnishings in self-catering accommodation will vary according to size and type of accommodation rented. No hard and fast rules can be laid down about what should be provided.

However, rooms are expected to be clean and comfortable, well lit and adequately heated. A vacuum cleaner is usually provided and if the landlord asks that the garden be kept tidy, a supply of garden tools is normally provided. Carpets, curtains and light fittings should be supplied as standard equipment. Many landlords include extras such as television, washing machine, telephone etc.

Each person should have a bed, adequate wardrobe and drawer space for storing clothes. Cooking and dining facilities should be relevant to the number of people in each property, as should bathroom and toilet facilities.

You should check carefully to ascertain what services and equipment are provided by the landlord/landlady before signing a contract or agreement.

Occupancy requirements


Rents for flats are fixed by the owner of the accommodation and are dependent upon the location of the property, the type of accommodation, the standard of decoration and furniture, services provided etc. Rents of furnished property usually exclude heating which is normally paid for by the tenant. Rents are normally payable in advance throughout the year, including vacations. You are advised to read any lease/contract very carefully, and if in doubt, to seek advice.

Utility bills

Rent usually excludes payment for gas, electricity and water, these will normally be covered by the tenent. There are a number of providers that offer these services and you should investigate your options. Please note that depending on a property's cooker and type of heating it may not have a gas supply. When you move, if you do not know who is currently supplying the property, you need to find out. Call 0870 6081524 for gas and contact the electricity distribution company for your area. You can find out who this is at:

You should immediately take the meter readings in the property as you will need to tell the provider these and it helps to ensure you only pay for what you use. Keep these readings as you will want to check that they are correct against your first bill.

Council Tax

All properties are liable for Council Tax: a tax on individual domestic dwellings. Council Tax bills depend on the home's valuation band.

If you do not rent a property for a twelve month period, you will only pay a proportion of the Council Tax.

TV Licences

Everyone who has a television set needs a television licence. This allows the person named on it and any member of the household to use one or more television sets.

To purchase a television licence, you need to complete a form and pay the fee at any Post Office. It is issued there and then. A licence issued for the first time will last you for one year from the first day of the month of issue.