Staff working abroad
All overseas appointments or arrangements for staff to work abroad require the approval of the relevant Dean of Faculty or Registrar.
For example, if you are considering:
- recruiting an employee who lives and will continue to live and work abroad for the University,
- sending an existing employee to be based abroad on an assignment or secondment for six months or more,
- a request from an employee to work abroad for personal reasons (e.g. to work from home in another country).
Such appointments / arrangements can have significant contractual, financial, tax and pension implications for both the individual and the University. Therefore it is vital that advice, guidance and approval is sought at the planning stage.
Step 1 - you must contact your People & OD Partner who will guide you through the required procedures and ensure that you receive appropriate specialist advice.
Details are contained in the guidance below.
- Form OW1 - Overseas Worker tax assessment - basic facts. To be completed at the initial planning stage.
- Form OW2 - Overseas Worker confirmation of details. Provides a summary of key information regarding the member of staff who will be working abroad.