Line manager responsibilities
As a manager of international staff, what are my responsibilities in relation to visa expiration and renewal?
- Be aware of the immigration status of your non-British/Irish staff
- Ensure that they make their applications in a timely fashion, seeking advice from People & OD Operations as appropriate.
I line manage a sponsored individual, what are my responsibilities?
UKVI must be notified of a range of activities in relation to the sponsored worker. When the individual is appointed, you will receive an e-mail from People & OD Operations outlining your obligations. In summary, you need to notify People & OD Operations immediately if:
- the worker does not attend work on their first day of employment
- they take unauthorised absence for 10 consecutive days
- they are on long-term sick for one month or more
- they request unpaid leave for more than one month
- they request time off for maternity, paternity, adoption or parental leave
- there are proposed significant changes to the contract of employment including salary, contractual hours and/or location of the employment. Note that someone cannot change from a teaching-focussed to research-focussed role (or vice versa) without a new visa, and must not be allowed to change roles until this visa is secured
- their contract of employment is terminated or the worker resigns earlier than anticipated
- there is information suggesting they are breaching the conditions of their leave to remain
- there is information suggesting they are engaged in terrorist or criminal activity
People & OD Operations will report the required information to UKVI. If you are unsure whether UKVI need to be notified of an activity, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
I line manage a Tier 4 student, what are my responsibilities?
You are responsible for ensuring that any students who are employed to work in your Department/School/Faculty do not work more than their permitted hours (e.g. 10/20 hours per week during term time.)
- You must not knowingly offer work which would result in the student being in breach of their visa restrictions
- You must record and monitor weekly working hours
- You must report any potential breaches of visa restrictions immediately to People & OD Operations.