Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type


The University offers relocation assistance to some staff when moving their main residence to take up a post here. Usually, the amount offered will be up to one-twelfth of the employee's starting salary (i.e. equivalent to one month's pay).

Eligible staff will be advised in their offer of appointment letter, and they will be contacted by Crown World Mobility, our professional relocation service provider.

Employees will be able to select services from Crown and/or claim for expenses.

Any expenses claimed must be incurred in connection with:

  • The sale of the old residence
  • The purchase or rental of a new main residence within 40 miles of the University postcode (M13 9PL)
  • Transporting belongings to the new residence
  • Associated travel and subsistence costs

Each claim must be submitted within three months of incurring the expense, and all claims in connection with the move must be submitted before the end of the tax year after the one in which the employee takes up their post at the University (e.g. claims for posts taken up in the 2019-20 tax year must be submitted before the end of the 2020-21 tax year).

Expenses claim forms will be provided by Crown. Full details can be found in the University's Relocation Policy.

Expenditure up to £8000 in connection with moving your main residence is normally tax free. Further advice will be given by Crown and can be found on the HMRC Relocation website.