Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Tier 4 students employed by the University - guidance for individuals

Can I work for the University while studying on a Tier 4 visa?

If you are studying in the UK on a Tier 4 visa you can usually work but with restrictions on the type of work and amount of work you can do.  These usually include a maximum of 20 hours a week paid work during term-time. 

If you are a student at the University, more information for students on working whilst studying can be found on the Manchester student information pages and in this leaflet.  You can also read more about working in the UK following your studies.

I have a job offer from the University, what will happen next?

If you are employed by the University, HR Services will write to you explaining your responsibility for ensuring that you do not exceed your permitted working hours; you are required to sign and return a copy of this letter to confirm their acceptance and understanding.  You will also need to attend HR Services in person for them to check your eligibility to work  documentation. 

HR Services have also implemented a timesheet system to identify Tier 4 students and ensure that hours claimed are within your permitted visa limits for your total employment, where you have more than one job with the University. 

Can I switch to working for the University on a Tier 2 visa?

If you’re currently in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) visa and you want to switch to a Tier 2 (General) visa you can find further information on the UK Government website.