Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Sick pay

During periods of sickness absence you may be eligible to receive statutory sick pay (SSP) which is a fixed amount set by the Government.

To find out more about statutory sick pay visit:

You may also be eligible to receive occupational sick pay which is provided by the University.

During any rolling 12 month period, the maximum amount of occupational sick pay you may receive is based on length of service as follows:

0-3 months service   One month at full pay
3-12 months service Two months full pay followed by two months half pay
1-3 years service   Three months full pay followed by three months half pay
3+ years service  Six months full pay followed by six months half pay

SSP is included in any full pay and in addition to any half pay given by the University.

To be entitled to pay you must:

  • follow the reporting procedures provided by your School/department on the first day of any absence
  • maintain regular contact with your line manager during any absence
  • provide a self certificate to cover any absence from 1 - 7 calendar days
  • provide a doctor's certificate (fit note) to cover any absence of 8 or more calendar days