Season ticket loans
The University can provide eligible employees with an interest free Season Ticket Loan to enable the purchase of public transport annual season tickets. For even greater savings some transport operators offer special discounts to University employees.
You can apply for a bus, tram, train or “County Bus “ annual season ticket and the University will purchase it on your behalf. You then repay the cost of the ticket by monthly instalments directly from your salary.
You must be a salaried member of the University, paid monthly through the payroll system and have a payroll number. Season tickets must be for one year. The maximum value of the loan available is £2,820 or 5% of gross annual salary (whichever is the greater). Applications are subject to individual approval.
Please note that the prices below may not be the latest. It is the responsibility of the member of staff to check the accurate value at the time of application and show proof of this price when you apply for the Season Ticket Loan.
Price: £540 (@ 11 July 2018)
If you are renewing your travel pass and currently have a membership card with photo ID please attach a photocopy of that membership card to your loan application. This will enable us to provide Arriva Bus with your current membership details and obtain a new season ticket.
If this is the first time that you are applying for a travel pass please attach a passport style photograph with your loan application. In addition to the annual season ticket Arriva will issue a membership card for you.
First Manchester Bus
Price: £648 (@ March 2019)
If you are renewing your travel pass and currently have a membership card with photo ID please attach a photocopy of that membership card to your loan application. This will enable us to provide First Bus with your current membership details and obtain a new season ticket.
If this is the first time that you are applying for a travel pass please attach a passport style photograph with your loan application. In addition to the annual season ticket First Manchester will issue a membership card for you.
There is no need to complete any forms other than the loan application.
Stagecoach - Annual Megarider
Price: £595 (@ 11 July 2018)
It is only available through the University partnership scheme.
Replacement tickets: For lost or stolen tickets an administration charge of £25 may be payable.
Discounted Stagecoach Tickets are available from the Income Office (G.003) in John Owens building. Weekly tickets are £14.30 and monthly are £57. You need to show your staff ID.
Season ticket loans are not available for weekly or monthly tickets.
County Bus and Train: £1,225.
All applications must be submitted via the Northern Rail website https://www.corporateseasontickets.com/season-tickets/uom
The university no longer orders county cards through TfGM.
If your public transport operator or ticket type is not covered by the above please contact HR Services at email@example.com or 0161 275 4499.
Decide on the type of bus ticket you require then follow the guidance below:
- Complete section one of the University’s Season Ticket loan application form and read the Terms and Conditions of the Scheme.
- Take the completed application form together with any supporting documents required to HR Services, 2nd Floor, Simon Building.
- If the loan application is approved by HR Services they will send off the application to the relevant travel company. If you have not met the eligibility for the season ticket loan HR Services will contact you.
- Once the application has been processed by the travel company they will send the season ticket to HR Services who will contact you to organise collection of the ticket. On collection you will sign to acknowledge receipt.
- HR Services will arrange for deductions to be made from your salary commencing from the first available month that the season ticket comes into operation.
- For current prices please check the National Rail Season Ticket Calculator.
- If you travel within Greater Manchester a GM Traincard may be the best option.
- Northern Rail can organise ANY season ticket for you, whether inside or outside their network or a GM Traincard.
- Please read the Terms and Conditions of the Scheme and then complete the online form.
The employee will then receive an email and must follow the instructions to validate their account; information regarding zones and discounted prices can be found here.
The corporate application form will need to be filled out (sections A & B) and then the declaration section (section D) will be signed by HR Services.
The relevant paperwork will then be sent to the employee in regards to monthly deductions; this will need to be signed and dated.
The employee uploads the completed corporate application form and their photo to the website which orders the corporate get me there card.
The get me there card will be posted to the individual's home address. Once the employee receives their corporate get me there card in the post, the smart ticket can be collected from the smart readers situated at a Metrolink stop.
The smart card must be presented to the smart reader to ‘touch in’ and ‘touch out’ for each journey made.
If your public transport operator or ticket type is not covered by the above please contact HR Services at HRServices@manchester.ac.uk or 0161 275 4499.