Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Precursor Chemical Licence or Registration

The following chemicals are category 1 and require a licence:

  • 1-phenyl-2-propanone (BMK)
  • 3-4 Methylenedioxy-Phenylpropan-2-one (PMK)
  • Alpha-phenylacetoacetonitrile (APAAN)
  • Chloroephedrine
  • Chloropseudoephedrine
  • Ephedrine
  • Ergometrine
  • Ergotamine
  • Isosafrole
  • Lysergic Acid
  • N-acetylanthranilic Acid
  • Norephedrine
  • Piperonal
  • Pseudoephedrine
  • Safrole
  • 4-anilino-N-phenethylpiperidine (ANPP)
  • N-phenethyl-4-piperidone (NPP)

Acetic Anhydride is category 2A and require registration for use and supply of more than 100 litres per calendar year.

The following chemicals are category 2B and do not require registration for possession if purchased from the EU:

Phenylacetic acid
Potassium Permanganate
Anthranilic acid

Please note that registration is required for importing category 2 (A and B) chemicals from non-EU countries. If you are exporting to or importing from non-EU countries, please see full table to find out if you need a licence or registration.

What legislation applies?

Articles 3(2), 3(6) & 6 of EU Regulation 273/2004
Precursor Chemical Licensing

If you need a licence or registration, contact the University Regulatory Compliance Officer (RCO) for help with the application.
Last reviewed: December 2020; Next review: December 2021