Applications for Manchester Access Programme open this week
06 Nov 2018
Do you know a talented Year 12 student that wants to come to The University of Manchester?
Do you work with or know a Year 12 student that wants to come to The University of Manchester?
The Manchester Access Programme (MAP), the University’s flagship widening participation scheme for local Year 12 students, is opening this week.
The aim of the programme is to help students, who meet specific academic and background criteria, achieve entry to The University of Manchester, or another research-intensive university, through the completion of a portfolio of work demonstrating specific knowledge and skills.
If students successfully complete the programme, there are three main benefits:
- Students will receive advice and guidance for their UCAS application and personal statement. If they decide to apply to The University of Manchester, they’ll also receive an early decision on their application.
- All students who successfully complete MAP and start an undergraduate course at The University of Manchester will receive the Undergraduate Access Scholarship (currently £1000). Students from households where the income is below £25,000 per year will receive the award for each year of their study.
- MAP students are eligible to receive a reduced offer of up to two A-level grades (or equivalent, depending on the qualifications you study) below the standard entry offer, reflecting the work students undertake to complete the programme successfully.
- Enhance a vast array of skills that will ensure they’re prepared for university, from time management and team working, to research and presentation skills.
- Prepare for different types of teaching and learning at university
- Gain information about the array of courses available and what it’s like to be a university student.
MAP will open for applications on the week beginning Monday, 5 November 2018, and will close on Monday, 17 December at 5pm.
Please note: applications are not considered on a first-come first-served basis. All applications will be considered after the closing date and applicants will be notified about the outcome of their application in February 2019.
The MAP team are delivering information talks in schools, colleges and community centres across Greater Manchester and are more than happy to speak to you, or directly to any eligible Year 12 students you know or work with, about the programme and how to apply.
For more information, get in touch at:
- 0161 306 6505