Profile user guides
*New* November 2023
- Guidance for adding teaching activities and expertise to Pure
- Raising your teaching & scholarship profile using Pure
- Pure - an introduction to Pure profiles (a video guide)
- Getting started with your personal profile
- Adding sections to your personal profile
- Layout of profiles
- Configuring settings on your research profile
- Changes to profile headings
- Sources of data in Pure
Best practice guides
- Writing your research profile best practice guide
- A guide to altmetrics - understanding the Altmetric and PlumX metrics on your profile
- Fingerprint configuration
- Configuration settings for researcher profile maps
- Managing your UN SDG tags
- Similar Profiles feature
- Creating an image gallery
- Adding copyright, captions and alt-text to Gallery images in your profile
- Embedding video content on publications
- Showcasing your Project records on your profile
- Tagging your profile and Pure records to a Research Beacon, Institute or Platform
Researcher profiles FAQs
Only certain sections from the information held in your account in Pure will show externally on your research profile.
These include any heading added under the 'Curriculum and research description' section, such as 'Biography', 'Qualifications' and 'Research interests'.
Your current affiliation (school/unit) will also show, along with any contact details you have added (email address, telephone number etc).
Your profile photo, any links and your ORCID will also be visible.
Please note that the following fields are NOT externally visible -
HESA Staff ID
Affiliation start and end dayes
Start date at the institution
Any updates you make to your Pure profile (such as, for example, updating your biography), will not update any Faculty or School webpages you may have.
Any profiles which you may have previously maintained via My Manchester can still be updated using this system.
Once your profile is set to ‘public’ and it is visible in Research Explorer, it can take a few days for it to appear in search results. This is because the search engines need to locate and index the new page.
If your profile is not visible in search results after 10 days or more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The majority of changes you make to your profile information update on your profile within a few minutes.
You can make your profile visible on the Research Explorer by changing the visibility status to 'Public'.
To change your profile's visibility setting, log into Pure and click on 'Edit Profile'. Scroll to the bottom of the editor window to the Visibility section.
Change the visibility to 'Public' and click the blue Save button.
Your profile will then be immediately available on the Research Explorer.
By default, your profile and the information contained within it will be retained for 1 year after your end date and will continue to show on Research Explorer.
Before leaving you can choose to make your profile confidential and remove information from it. After leaving the University you can contact email@example.com to request your profile be removed.
Research Explorer preview FAQs
The preview is an opportunity over Summer 2022 to review your new look profile on a development environment. Your current profile on https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/ will not be affected.
You can preview your new profile by going to https://uom-staging.elsevierpure.com/en/.
In the username field enter 'preview'.
In the password field enter 'preview'
Use the search box to search for your name.
If you have never created a research profile in Pure, you can still preview the new look Research Explorer using the link and credentials provided. You won't however be able to view your own profile. If you'd like to create a profile please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is not possible to edit your profile during the preview. If you'd like to use any of the new features to see how they will look please contact email@example.com and we can assist you.