Professional indemnityCover for the legal liabilities of University and its staff arising from:
- Negligent acts, errors or omissions by staff in the course of the University's activities
- Unintentional breach of third party intellectual property rights
- Loss of destruction of documents
- Pollution incidents
- Dishonest or fraudulent acts of employees.
Cover extends to activities worldwide, but is limited in respect of claims made under the laws of the USA or Canada or for the enforcement of a judgement obtained in these countries.
The Insurance Office must be notified of any incident or circumstance that may lead to a claim being made against the University.
For confirmation of cover visit:
- Claims arising out of contractual liabilities that go beyond the duty to use such skill and care as is usual in undertaking the University's activities
- Claims arising from certain work incorporated in aircraft or aerial devices - see below
- Claims arising from the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any nuclear component
- Claims for fines, penalties, punitive or exemplary damages
- Claims in respect of medical malpractice.
Work involving aircraft or other aerial devicesThe University's insurance cover for professional negligence excludes cover for any claim:
"arising from advice, design or specification which to the knowledge of the University will be incorporated in aircraft or aerial devices, and which affects, or could affect, the navigation, propulsion or safety of the aircraft or aerial device".
This exclusion applies unless the work has been specifically declared to, and accepted by, the insurers.
The phrase "to the knowledge of the University" is taken to mean that there should be a specific agreement in place to incorporate the work. There is no need to declare work for which there is no commitment to incorporate in aircraft or aerial devices even though this may be the eventual outcome.
It is important that any work that may be subject to the exclusion is advised to the Insurance Office at the earliest opportunity, with details of the project title, duration, value and the names of the investigators and any sponsors.