Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet

Providing Evidence to DASS

What evidence is needed to register with DASS?

In order for you to fully register with the Disability Advisory and Support Service [DASS], you’ll need to complete our registration form, as well as providing us with appropriate evidence of your disability.

In DASS, we are guided by the legal definition of disability. The Equality Act 2010 defines disability as a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activity.

Evidence should then be returned to the Disability Advisory and Support Service, along with the registration form, either by email, post, or in person.

What evidence of my mental health difficulty, physical, medical or sensory condition do you need?

  • You can ask your doctor to complete our medical evidence form.
  • If you have already seen Occupational Health, we may also be able to accept an Occupational Health report as medical evidence. To enable us to access your Occupational Health reports, we would need you to complete a release form to enable DASS to request these reports
  • We may also be able to accept hospital letters, if the letter contains sufficient information about your condition 

Contact us if you need more information about submitting medical evidence 

What evidence of my specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, do I need?

Do you have a report?

If you have an existing report diagnosing dyslexia or dyspraxia, please send this in to us. We can then see whether this can be accepted, or whether you will need a new report.

Are you planning on getting a report outside of the University?

If you’re planning on being assessed for dyslexia outside the University, it’s essential that you make sure that the person completing the report will follow the 2005 SpLD working group guidelines. If they don’t follow these guidelines, you may not be able to access support.

What if I don’t have a report?

If you do not currently have an assessment report and would like to explore a diagnosis through the University then you should book a quick query to discuss with a staff advisor