Disabled Staff Network Group
Disabled Staff Network Group
Providing a voice within the University for disability equality
The Disabled Staff Network meets 'officially' about 3 times a year and have a number of other informal get-togethers.
This Network is open to all members of staff at The University of Manchester who consider themselves to have an impairment, cognitive difference, or long term health/medical condition, and to members of staff who have a specific interest in this area of work.
We're looking for some new people to help with the running of the network:DSN Secretary – someone (maybe different people on a rotating basis) to take the minutes at the DSN meetings. This is such an essential role as we need to document all your opinions, views and concerns so that we can voice these to senior management at the University.Social secretary – as well as having our formal meetings, it would be fantastic if we could all get together and meet on an informal basis – maybe go for a coffee or even a meal after work? Or maybe some of you have more creative ideas…
- New members are always welcome! Please email: DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk or drop into one of our events
- Join our confidential mailing list by emailing DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk
- Follow us on Twitter: @UoMDSN
The Network needs a social secretary. Could you take the lead on organising DSN social events? From casual 'coffee and a chat' drop-ins to our Christmas gathering the opportunities and options are many .... Please email DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk if you can help.
We were proud to be part of the NADSN & LGBT+ NoN 1st Joint National Intersectionality Conference which took place on June 20 2019.
The next meetings are set:
Friday 13 September: 12:30pm to 2pm 4.38 Simon Building
Monday 25 November: 12:30pm to 2pm
Tuesday 3 March 2020: 12:30pm to 2pm
Please make a note of dates and times. Lunch is provided at all meetings. All rooms used for our meetings are fully accessible, but if you require special adjustments such as panatypist, then please contact DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk at least two weeks before each meeting.
Any agenda items for future meetings should also be sent to DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk
More social events for 2019 will be arranged soon. When they are, we will post the details on this page to let you know.
Congratulations to Anthony Williams who was recently nominated for The University of Manchester’s Volunteer of the Year award and was awarded joint third place in the staff category among a strong field of exceptional and extraordinary volunteers! Anthony runs a support group for people going through surgery for epilepsy by connecting people who have both had the surgery or are facing it themselves. The group has grown to support people all over the world and many of the epilepsy specialist hospitals recommend patients who are considering this type of surgery to his group for support.
- DSN member Dr Hamied Haroon SPOKE at the Annual Disability Lecture at the University of Cambridge on 23 March 2018.
- The National Association of Disabled Staff Networks (NADSN) has launched a quiz to help employees with impairments recognize discrimination at work and access relevant help and information. Find out more!
- Hamied Haroon has a full page feature in the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health's most recent social responsibility brochure on page 10 where he talks about his disability activism.