Disabled Staff Network Group
Disabled Staff Network Group
Providing a voice within the University for disability equality
The Disabled Staff Network meets 'officially' about 3 times a year and have a number of other informal get-togethers.
This Network is open to all members of staff at the University of Manchester who consider themselves to have an impairment, cognitive difference, or long term health/medical condition, and to members of staff who have a specific interest in this area of work.
- New members are always welcome! Please email: DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk or drop into one of our events
- Join our confidential mailing list by emailing DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk
- Follow us on Twitter: @UoMDSN
The Network needs a social secretary. Could you take the lead on organising DSN social events? From casual 'coffee and a chat' drop-ins to our Christmas gathering the opportunities and options are many .... Please email DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk if you can help.
KEEP CHECKING BACK FOR OUR NEXT EVENT
The next meeting will be on Monday 12 November 2018 12.30-2.00 - 6.207 University Place (light lunch provided) - invitations will be sent out. The last meeting was 23 April. The meeting notes have been circulated. However if you have not received a copy of the notes but wish to, please email DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk
All rooms used for our meetings are fully accessible.
Any agenda items for future meetings should be sent to DSNetwork@manchester.ac.uk
Up and coming social events for 2018 will be arranged soon. When they are, we will post the details on this page to let you know.
Election Time! Details of the electon for co-chair were circulated on 18 October. Closing date for nominations is 26 October. An announcement of the new co-chair was made on 5 November.Congratulations to Anthony Williams who was recently nominated for The University of Manchester’s Volunteer of the Year award and was awarded joint third place in the staff category among a strong field of exceptional and extraordinary volunteers! Anthony runs a support group for people going through surgery for epilepsy by connecting people who have both had the surgery or are facing it themselves. The group has grown to support people all over the world and many of the epilepsy specialist hospitals recommend patients who are considering this type of surgery to his group for support.
- DSN member Dr Hamied Haroon SPOKE at the Annual Disability Lecture at the University of Cambridge on 23 March 2018.
- The National Association of Disabled Staff Networks (NADSN) has launched a quiz to help employees with impairments recognize discrimination at work and access relevant help and information. Find out more!
- Hamied Haroon has a full page feature in the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health's most recent social responsibility brochure on page 10 where he talks about his disability activism.
- Many thanks to Angela Crolla from the Student Development and Community Engagement Division. Angela has volunteered to be our Network Secretary. Thanks Angela!