Leadership in Education Awards Programme (LEAP)
The Leadership in Education Awards Programme (LEAP) supports you in documenting and evidencing your teaching excellence, and is an opportunity for you to receive a formal, national qualification for your teaching.
LEAP information sessions run twice per academic year. If you would like to attend a LEAP information session you can book your place via the Training Catalogue:
LEAP is accredited by AdvanceHE to award Associate, Fellow, Senior and Principal AdvanceHE fellowships. Each category of fellowship is aligned to one of the four Descriptors of the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF). The fellowship category that you apply for will be determined by how much of the Descriptor that you can evidence.
To help you start thinking about which fellowship category is most suitable for you the fellowship categories are:
- Associate Fellow (AFHEA / Descriptor 1) - for those new to teaching, support staff or those who support teaching and learning as a relatively minor part of their role.
- Fellow (FHEA / Descriptor 2) - for those with a more substantive teaching and learning support role.
- Senior Fellow (SFHEA / Descriptor 3) - for those with a significant teaching leadership role and who have had an influence on professional practice beyond their own teaching.
- Principal Fellow (PFHEA / Descriptor 4) - for those who able to demonstrate impact at a strategic level (institutional, national or international context) and a wider commitment to academic practice and leadership in teaching and learning. To find out more about Principal Fellowship watch this video from Professor Judy Williams (LEAP academic lead) on `What is Principal Fellowship?`
If you're still unsure which fellowship category would be the most suitable for you try the AdvanceHE fellowship category tool. The tool has been designed by AdvanceHE to help you determine which category of fellowship is the closest match to your current practice.
To provide you with the most effective support for your fellowship application, LEAP is divided into pathways, each of which has been tailored to the category of fellowship for which you are applying.
- LEAP frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- LEAP handbook
- AdvanceHE fellowship [AdvanceHE website]
- UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF) [AdvanceHE website]
- AdvanceHE fellowship category tool [AdvanceHE website]
From initial interest to final assessment, here's what you can expect with LEAP:
1. Find out more before you apply
- Which pathway is for you?
- Attend an information session
2. Register for a place on LEAP - registration form opened once per year
- Complete the online LEAP registration form
3. Allocation of place on the programme and access to the online learning resource - by email
4. Book and attend LEAP action learning sets (optional)
6. Submit your LEAP application - by email
7. Outcome of the application assessment - by email
Important: Please note that all participants should complete their fellowship application within two years of registering with LEAP. If you do not complete within this timeframe, you will need to re-register at the next opportunity.
How to join
To join the LEAP and gain access to the LEAP Blackboard space please
Information about LEAP workshops and the other support available
Deadlines and submission
Information on submitting your LEAP application and the application requirements