Academic Advising at the University of Manchester
Academic Advising provides support to students during their period of study at Manchester in three areas:
- Academic - providing academic guidance on where and how to improve;
- Pastoral - acting as a point of contact for students experiencing personal difficulties, and signposting students with particular needs to support services;
- Employability - helping students think about their future career and writing references.
Log into the video portal to hear staff and students discuss the benefits of Academic Advising.
An online training module is provided for all staff acting as Academic Advisors at the University of Manchester.
Video Guidance on the importance of advising, signposting and advising on employability, mental health and more.
Information on the Counselling service webpages for Academic Advisers to refer to in case of a mental health crisis.
About the Toolkit
The toolkit is organised into the following two sections: 1. Signposting Students and 2. Supporting Academic Advisors
1. Signposting Students
The following areas will take you to useful links and materials that you can use in your advising sessions with students.
My Learning Essentials, UCIL, academic malpractice, complaints and appeals and further study
Pastoral care for students
All academic advising topics
All links are listed alphabetically in the A-Z topics on the left or grouped up in the following areas:
- Academic - brings together all key links
- Employability - information on the careers service and links to support
- Wellbeing - collates all services and self-help links for pastoral care
2. Supporting Academic Advisors
Go to the following areas for information on the roles, details of formal training and advising model to help support you in your role.
All about the roles and responsibilities for staff and students
Learning and development support for advisors
Academic advising model
Information for Advisors on how to approach advising in an online or blended environment and how to manage virtual meetings.
A forum for Advisors to share practice about engaging students and supporting students’ development.
Please use the 'contact us' form with any suggestions or feedback about this toolkit.