Search the University of Manchester siteSearch Menu StaffNet
Search type

Funding for support

Access to Work funding

The DSO often advises staff to make use of Access to Work funding.  Access to Work might pay towards the equipment you need at work, adapting premises to meet your needs, or a support worker. It can also pay towards the cost of getting to work if you cannot use public transport.

The DSO will facilitate your Access to Work application, and therefore we would advise you to book an appointment with the Staff Disability Adviser in the first instance. 

The Adviser will then be able to advise you about the process, and any other form of support that may be available within the University.


When Access to Work does not pay the full cost of support, or when support is not purchased through the Access to Work scheme, we will ask your School or Division to make a contribution towards the costs of the support.

If you have any issues relating to confidentiality, we can discuss these at your appointment.