Aims of the Disabled Staff Network Group
Our main aims are:
- To promote disability equality through active involvement and consultation on the University's plans, strategies, policies and guidance.
- To provide the opportunity to share experiences about working at the University.
- To work with the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team to develop effective solutions to any problems encountered.
- To provide support, advice and guidance, or signposting, where appropriate.
- To raise awareness around disability equality.
- To work closely with other projects, initiatives, departments and organisations which raise awareness around disability equality.
Who we work with our colleagues in The University of Manchester as well as external organisations. Professor Clive Agnew is the “Champion” for the Disabled Staff Network in the University’s Senior Leadership Team. This gave us a direct link with the decision-makers at the highest level.
Within our University, we engage with:
- Central Teaching Spaces
- Conferences and Venues Office, including Chancellors Hotel
- Counselling Service
- Directorate for the Student Experience, especially its Student Life Division
- Directorate of Estates and Facilities
- Directorate of People and Organisational Development
- Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS), including the University Disability Consultative Group
- Equality & Diversity (E&D), including the Equality & Diversity Forum
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Faculty of Medical & Human Sciences, including its Equality & Diversity Committee
- Social Responsibility
- SPORT, including the Wellbeing team
- Students and staff conducting research related to disability
- Students’ Union, particularly its Disabled Students Liberation Officers and Society
- The Manchester Museum
- The University President & Vice Chancellor
- Undergraduate Recruitment & Widening Participation, including Student Ambassadors
Outside of our University, we have developed links with:
- Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s Disabled Staff Network
- Equality Challenge Unit
- Greater Manchester Universities’ Sports For All
- Imperial College London, through its Calibre Leadership Programme
- Kate Green MP
- Lady Morris, Gill Morris, Mike Kane MP, Manchester Trades Union Council, NW TUC Disability Forum, and Manchester City Councillors
- Manchester Metropolitan University’s Disabled Staff Forum
- Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester
- Result CIC
- Time To Change Campaign
- University and College Union, locally and nationally
- University of York’s Disabled Staff Network