Terms of Reference
In 2021 Loraine McKoy and Laverne Condappa-Ward were elected as co-chairs.
As part of a new structure, there will be additional supporting roles available to support the co-chairs:
Terms of Reference
We have recently updated our Terms of Reference to reflect changes and the approach to our work.
They can be found here:
For ease of access they are also summarised below:
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
- To promote the interests of BAME staff employed at The University of Manchester, by creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome, comfortable, respected and valued.
- To raise awareness of BAME issues at the University.
- To provide a safe confidential environment for BAME Network members to communicate, share ideas and feedback in.
- To promote and raise awareness of the BAME network to non-members.
- To support the monitoring and assessment of the effective implementation of actions created in relation to the Race Equality Charter Mark and assisting in the review of race equality in the day-to-day operations of the institution, by taking part in discussions feedback and planning sessions.
- To work with the University’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion team and Academic
Lead for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion towards the elimination of unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation, and/or bullying.
- To be consulted and included in policy development and all matters relating to BAME people in the organisation, including the University’s strategy, policies and guidance on race equality.
- To liaise with other departments and faculties involved in race equality in the
University, such as the Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Centre, the University Students’ Union, the Campus Trade Unions, BAME allies and other staff networks, to share learning and best practise.
- To act as a channel for communication and consultation between BAME staff and
- To lobby and support relevant campaigns, programmes and initiatives, as required to
progress issues facing BAME staff in the University of Manchester.
- To assist with identifying barriers to progression faced by BAME staff.
- To identify ways to challenge discrimination and stereotyping among colleagues,
peers, students, stakeholders and customers.
- To provide peer support, guidance and signposting to appropriate services both
within and outside the organisation where appropriate.
- To provide BAME staff with opportunities to participate in a range of targeted social
and professional activities.
- An annual budget is provided via the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Unit. An activity report will be submitted detailing the group’s activities for the coming 12 months. Planned activities will be agreed and supported by the network members.
- Additional funds for specific events can be applied for from the Equality, Diversity &
MEMBERSHIP, MEETINGS AND DECISION MAKING:
- Open to all staff with an interest in progressing race equality regardless of whether or not they self-identify as BAME.
- Membership is on a voluntary basis.
- University policy permits members to attend up to four meetings per year during their standard working hours. Time to attend additional meetings can be agreed on an individual basis with the appropriate line manager. Lunchtime meetings are not included in this total.
- Meetings will be held throughout the year with a minimum of 3 meetings a year
How decision are made:
- All matters requiring a decision will be circulated to network members in advance of the next meeting.
- The item to be decided on will be discussed the next scheduled meeting with advice provided by appropriate experts.
- A casting vote will be taken from all members present. Members unable to attend the meeting and cast their vote should email their vote to the (Co-) Chairs.
- A majority rule decision will be made with a disagree and support method adhered to by members that did not vote for the decision.
- Any vote resulting in a 50/50 outcome will be decided by (Co-) Chairs.
- The Network will be led by its elected (Co-) chairs with elections taking place every 2 years.
- The (Co-) chairs will be supported by an Advisory Committee with representation from a cross-section of University staff.
- BAME Network Communication will be conducted using the University of Manchester BAME Network email listerv (moderated by the (Co-) chairs) and BAME Network meetings. Microsoft Teams will be used by members for optional discussions and communication pathways.
- The network (Co-) chairs will revisit the Terms of Reference in consultation with the members annually.