Reporting staff absence due to coronavirus
12 Mar 2020
Staff must report if they are off work due to suspected coronavirus or if they are self-isolating
Any member of staff who is off work due to suspected novel coronavirus (COVID-19) or if they are self-isolating must report their absence by:
- emailing COVID19Absence@manchester.ac.uk
- telephoning 0161 306 0066 (internal: 60066). The telephone line will be staffed between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and an answerphone service is available at all other times.
You should provide your name, job title and area of work, reason for absence and expected return to work date (if you know this). You should also inform your line manager of your absence and keep in touch with them on a daily basis to keep them informed about your expected return to work date.
This arrangement is for staff who are:
- Off work because they have been diagnosed with coronavirus
- Off work because they have been in contact with someone who is suspected to have coronarvirus, or have recently returned from one of the at-risk countries and have decided to self-isolate. Staff in these positions are also advised to visit the NHS website for the latest guidance.
- Members of staff who feel unwell and think they may have the symptoms of coronavirus. These colleagues should visit the NHS website for the latest guidance for advice.
If you are unable to attend work because you have caring responsibilities and your usual care arrangements are unavailable due to coronavirus eg: school or nursery is closed, you should contact your line manager to discuss your situation and options.
Staff absence due to illness unrelated to coronavirus should be reported in the usual way.
Many questions about staff absence due to coronavirus are answered in the Frequently Asked Questions and HR Guidance sections on our dedicated coronavirus StaffNet site. Regular updates are also being provided on StaffNet News.
Our University is taking coronavirus extremely seriously and will continue to communicate with you and make every effort to ensure the safety of our staff and students, while maintaining normal operations as far as possible.