Support for international colleagues
Our University is committed to maintaining our global role and supporting the international staff and students who are such an important part of our community.
We understand that many of our staff are concerned about the implications of the end of the Transition Period and how things might be different from 1 January 2021. We are doing all we can to support colleagues and our HR Services team is happy to assist and advise you during this time.
Help and support is available from our University:
Advice and guidance for staff
After 1 January 2021, the way that we do some things at our University will change. Find out more about what this may mean for you and the work that you do.
If you have to travel internationally to carry out your work you should check for the latest information on making travel arrangements. There’s not expected to be any changes to the University’s business travel insurance cover for trips after 1 January 2021. However, travellers should be aware of any new rules for travel to Europe, such as Green Cards being required for driving and the European Health Insurance Card potentially not being valid.
Key Travel, the University’s travel partner have produced a short guide covering the potential impact on passports and visas, health insurance, EU driving laws and more.
Imports and exports
Any goods purchased or moved from the EU into the UK will from 1 January be classed as imports. Likewise goods sold and moved from the UK to the EU will be classed as exports.
- Export controls and Brexit
- Licences, certificates and special rules for moving goods in or out of the UK
The changes have implications for how VAT is calculated.
Europe and our University
- 10.8% of our staff and 7.5% of our students are EU citizens
- 8% of our research funding is from the European Commission
- We have over 348 signed Horizon 2020 agreements in place (including 59 ERC awards) – approx. €200 million.
- The University currently sits 6th in the UK HEI ranked list for the number and value of Horizon 2020 awards and 11/12th in EU HEIs
- Follow our EU Funding & Development Team on Twitter