Our role is to manage and facilitate the implementation of institutional strategy for excellence in teaching and learning and the Manchester student experience.
We work closely with the Vice-President (Teaching, Learning and Students), Associate Vice-Presidents, and with Faculties, Schools and other administrative offices.
We provide advice, support, and project management for strategic institutional projects related to teaching, learning and the student experience.
Our Peer Support programme delivers an extensive peer support programme across all Schools and Faculties.
We manage the University level stages of Student Appeals and Complaints and liaise with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator, the General Counsel’s office, Faculties, Schools and other administrative offices to ensure that reasonable decisions have been made for those students pursuing appeals and complaints, and that any such appeals and complaints have been handled properly through the consistent application of regulations and policies.
We develop policies and procedures that underpin the effective delivery of teaching and learning activities across the University, working with partners in Faculties and Schools to ensure consistent implementation. We maintain links with external bodies such as the Quality Assurance Agency, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator and the Higher Education Academy.
Enhancement of teaching and learning
We help to ensure the quality of teaching, learning and assessment within the University by overseeing the University's quality framework and managing the University's interactions with the Quality Assurance Agency. The quality framework is a set of policies and processes relating specifically to the assurance of teaching quality. Teaching and learning enhancement relates to developmental/enhancement work carried, stemming from individual projects, ad hoc reviews and emerging priorities.
The Peer Support programme promotes student engagement in co curricular activity across the University. The programme includes the coordination of Peer Support (Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) and Peer Mentoring), the facilitation of student feedback and consultations and celebration of student activity.
Distance and Blended Learning
The TLSO has a major role in supporting University of Manchester Worldwide to increase the University's distance and blended learning provision.
Recognition of achievement and excellence for staff
The TLSO organises the administration of the University's Teaching Excellence Awards, which focus on achievement in relation to teaching over recent years and involve a grant for recipients to further develop their teaching or their career. The TLSO also coordinates nominations for National Teaching Fellowships.
Tel: 0161 275 5571
Fax: 0161 275 7354
For further contact details, please see the link to a list of TLSO staff below.
Director of Teaching and Learning Support
- Louise Walmsley – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Academic Policy
- Emma Hilton Wood – email: email@example.com
PA to Louise Walmsley and Clive Agnew
- Nicola Hamer – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marcia Ody (Teaching and Learning Manager) – email: email@example.com
- Isabella Fairclough (Teaching & Learning Adviser, Peer Support) – email: Isabella.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Becky Allen, Teaching & Learning Co-ordinator (Student Engagement) - email: Becky.Allen@manchester.ac.uk
- Higher Education Administration Intern (Teaching & Learning Assistant) - vacancy
Teaching and Learning Policy/Appeals and Complaints
- Geoff Carter (Teaching and Learning Manager) – email: email@example.com
- Miriam Graham (Teaching and Learning Adviser, Policies and Procedures) – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matthew Valentine (Teaching and Learning Adviser, Appeals and Complaints) – email: Matthew.email@example.com
Programmes (including collaborative/validated provision, and External Examiners)
- Jo Hicks (Teaching and Learning Manager, Programmes) – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lisa Carter (Teaching & Learning Adviser, Approval and Review) – email: email@example.com
- Matthew Makin (Teaching & Learning Assistant) - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kerry Jones (Teaching & Learning Adviser, Development) – email: Kerry.email@example.com
- Stephen Luddington (Teaching & Learning Assistant) – email: Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patricia Clift-Martin Fran Hooley (Teaching & Learning Manager, Academic Development) – on maternity leave
- Fran Hooley (Teaching & Learning Manager, Academic Development) – email: email@example.com
- Kelly Pickard-Smith (Teaching & Learning Adviser, Innovation & CHERIL) – email: Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emma Sanders (Teaching & Learning Adviser, Attainment) – email: Emma.email@example.com
- Ian Hutt (Head of Distance Learning Operations) – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diane Bennett (Teaching and Learning Manager, DL) – email: Diane.email@example.com
- Cath Wasiuk (Learning Technologist, DL) – email: Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Owen (Learning Technologist, DL) – email: John.Owen@manchester.ac.uk
- Rachel Powild (Learning Technologist, DL) – email: email@example.com
- Emma-Lee Yarwood (Learning Technologist, DL) – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Lobjoit (Learning Technologist, DL) – email: email@example.com
- Peter Trimbel (Learning Technologist, DL) – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Simon Kohn (Study Advisor, DL) - email: email@example.com
University of Manchester Worldwide