Disabled Staff Network
Providing a voice within the University for Disability Equality
The Disabled staff network meet on a termly basis and is open to all members of staff at the University of Manchester who consider themselves to have an impairment or long term health/medical condition.
The aims of the group are:
- To promote disability equality through active involvement and consultation on the University's plans, strategies, policies and guidance;
- To provide the opportunity to share experiences about working at the University;
- To work with the Equality and Diversity Team to develop effective solutions to any problems encountered;
- To provide support, advice and guidance, or signposting, where appropriate;
- To raise awareness around disability equality;
- To work closely with other projects, initiatives, departments and organisations which raise awareness around disability equality.
The structure of Disabled Staff Network
- Network to appoint a Chair and Secretary;
- Liaison member from Equality and Diversity team to attend meetings and support the network;
- Meetings 3-4 times a year plus any consultation and events throughout the year;
- To keep an up-to-date intranet area for their network;
- To organise one event per year;
- Allocated budget of £500 per year.
The purpose of the role description is to give guidance to people who would like to become a member of the network group.
- Time off to attend meetings during the working day. This could be up to eight hours per year and agreed with line manager;
- Help to develop aims and purpose of network;
- Help to develop and implement an action plan for network;
- Engage in consultation on related diversity policies and legislation;
- Channelling of issues through network chair to the Equality and Diversity forum;
- Helping to organise network specific events;
- Able to offer peer support to colleagues.
- Organise and Chair meetings and network events (with support from E&D team);
- Point of contact for E&D team;
- Budget holder;
- Attend E&D forum meetings;
- To seek resolutions/responses to questions and issues raised by network group.
To support the Chair by helping to organise meetings/agendas and taking the minutes as appropriate.
If you require further information or would like to join the network, please contact the Equality and Diversity Team at:
Alternatively you can contact the Chair of the Disabled Staff Network, Hamied Haroon at: