Interruptions to taught programmes
The Policy on Interruptions was produced in 2015, based on the wording of the original 'Principles for Granting Interruptions to an Undergraduate or Postgraduate Taught programme of study'. The Policy was reviewed and updated in June 2019, to strengthen the 'return to study' after interruption element. Accompanying guidance for staff and students is also available:
- Guidance for staff on Interruptions to Undergraduate and Postgraduate taught programmes of study (to accompany the Policy)
- Guidance for students on Interruptions to Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Programmes of Study (specific guidance for students)
The approval for students' applications for interruptions to study is devolved to the School in which a student is based.
Which University facilities a student has access to during an Interruption
The Student Systems Office (SSO) produces a 'Guide to Student Access to Facilities' which contains a useful table on page 3 of the specific University facilities which students have access to at various stages or situations, including during an interruption or leave of absence.
- Guide to Student Access to Facilities - see the link to the document at the top of the page.
The interruption of an international student can have major repercussions in terms of their immigration permission. Staff members should contact the Student Immigration Team regarding requests from international students to interrupt their studies. Please see the following information:
- Managing course changes and interruptions (Student Admissions and Administration webpage)
- Managing interruptions (Student Admissions and Administration webpage)
Reporting information about Interruptions
As part of the Guidance for Staff on Interruptions, Schools are requested to report to their Faculty quarterly the outcomes of all applications received for interruptions. To assist with this process, the Faculty of Humanities have produced a pro forma to help Schools collate the details of applications.
To view this pro forma and guidance for School, please see:
Special thanks to Humanities Teaching & Learning Office staff for the addition of this example of best practice.
Specific queries about Interruptions
In the event of a query concerning interruptions, please refer directly to the relevant Faculty.