Staff involved in Research
This section contains guidance, resources and opportunities to assist postgraduate, early career researchers and research staff with their personal and professional development offered by the three faculties and staff learning and development.
New Academics Programme
All 3 Faculties have a programme for New Academics to kick start their career - click the link below to learn more:
The Leadership in Education Awards Programme (LEAP) supports staff in documenting and evidencing teaching excellence, and is an opportunity to receive a national qualification for teaching.
Research Staff Handbook
Research staff handbook aims to provide you with information about your employment and career development, how to carry out your role and responsibilities, what support and training is available to you, and the key regulations and policies that are applicable to you as a member of Research Staff.
Welcome to Manchester: Essential information for new members of research staff
Working here: Contract of employment and working conditions
Undertaking research: Grant & fellowship, research governance & ethics
Managing your career: Career guidance, training & development and performance & progress review
Online and Classroom training
Research into Management is the professional development programme covering the theory and practice of management and leadership aimed specifically at researchers. It is design for research staff who are interested in developing these key skills areas, both to support their current roles and their career development - whether in academia, industry, business or other context.
This workshop is primarily aimed at academics and will help you extend and develop the skills and knowledge you have to facilitate and contribute to meetings confidently and effectively.
In partnership with Staff Learning and Development and Media Service the Division of Communications and Marketing are offering a limited number of places for staff on a media training course. Delivered on campus by MediaFirst, these courses are run four times a year and take half a day to complete. Participants are coached in interview techniques and take part in face-to-face and TV interviews with a journalist. Feedback and recording are available after the event.
Other research resources
- Research Impact at Manchester
- Research Staff Association
- Researcher development at the University
- Incite blog - keeping research staff updated on opportunities for skills training and development
- My Research Essentials - the Library's programme of training, information and online resources relevant to researchers at all career stages
- Library services and support for the research community
- Research IT
- An academic career
- Research and Business Engagement support services
- Research Governance, Ethics and Integrity
- Sixty Second Skills
- Vitae - resources and tools provided by the Careers Research and Advisory Centre
- UK Data Service - The UK Data Service runs courses about survey data sets, themes and data analysis workshops.
- The Guardian education and research
- Career development toolkit for Researchers
- Building academic job applications: a quick & practical guide for early career researchers