The 2021 Manchester Gold programme is now closed for applications
Manchester Gold is managed by the Staff Learning and Development Team and aims to support staff career development across the University by linking them with the support of a more experienced colleague, to work with them over a period of 9 months. The programme has been running for over 15 years, and in this time has facilitated over 800 mentoring matches.
In 2020 the programme ran virtually for the first time; feedback showed that 91% of mentees felt they achieved their goals and objectives from the programme, and 95% said they developed a good working relationship with their mentor.
Who is Manchester Gold Staff for?
The scheme is for any staff member working at the University who would like help with their career development. Whether you are a member of Professional Services or an Academic, Manchester Gold staff could work for you.
Previous participants on the scheme have signed up for some of the following reasons, to:
- Develop leadership, managerial or supervisory skills.
- Assist with specific goals, such as achieving academic promotion.
- Help define future career goals more clearly.
- Discuss ways of balancing research and teaching.
- Learn more about the way the University functions, and possible career routes available.
- Explore ways of increasing grant success.
- Get a different perspective on a specific work-related problem.
- Consider how to increase the number of research papers you write and get accepted.
- Address work / life balance.
- Expand networks.
- Develop specific skills.
- Anything else related to career development!
How does Manchester Gold work?
If matched, mentees will be mentored by another member of staff between May 2021 and February 2022. Mentors and mentees normally meet four to five times over this ten-month period, and both will have the opportunity to attend supporting workshops.
The programme involves a time commitment of approximately 15-20 hours over the 9 month period.
Be a Mentor
Find out more about being a mentor
Be a Mentee
Find out more about being a mentee