Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Consultancies and service agreements

Where you are undertaking non-research activities, you should always comply with the University policy:

The Contracts Team will be able to help with any non-research work, provided that such work is undertaken in your capacity as an academic here at the University. You will also need to complete an Outside Work and Consultancy Application Form and have this signed by an authorised representative within your School. We also recommend that you speak with Business Engagement Faculty team with regards to costing policy, as the University has guidelines on how such work should be costed.

Bespoke agreements

There are a good number of other agreements that the Contracts Team can help put in place. They are very situation specific and there are too many variations to be able to list them all here.

However, the Contracts Manager for your School will be able to advise on the best agreement to match your specific needs.

Subcontracts and Study Site Agreements

Very often in research and collaborative projects, there is a requirement to subcontract some of the work to a partner or partners. This is done via a subcontract (or in the case of NHS organisations, a study site agreement (mNCA). The Contracts Team will be able to assist in putting this in place. In order to do this as efficiently as possible a Subcontract Request Form should be filled in and sent to the Contract Team. The form is available for download in Word format below:

Confidentiality Agreements

The sharing of information is a vital part of the research. Nevertheless, when parties are discussing the possibility of a collaboration, it is necessary to protect information being exchanged so that it is held in confidence and not misused. Once information has been publically disclosed (for instance in conversations, seminars, posters, presentations, publications or by email) it is no longer considered confidential unless disclosed under an obligation of confidence.

To ensure that information is held in confidence and not misused, a Confidentiality Agreement (CDA) or Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) should be put in place between the provider and the recipient of such information. Often these are put in place on a mutual basis.

We are happy for you to share the CDA template with potential collaborators, however, please note the following:

  • Should the partner require any changes to the template, these need to be approved by the Contracts Office.
  • The agreement will need to be signed off by an authorised signatory within the Contracts Office.
  • Please do not disclose any confidential information prior to the agreement being signed by both parties.  

Material Transfer Agreements

The sharing of material and reagents is widespread throughout the scientific community and is vital for the progress of research. Most organisations (including academic institutions) will only release materials if there is a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) in place between the provider and the recipient.

An MTA is intended to define the rights of the parties as far as the extent of use of material, its confidentiality, any publications, and the ownership of intellectual property (IP) arising from the use of the material. In general these agreements do not include payment for the material, although transport costs may be required.

Upon execution of an MTA, the PI is responsible for making the necessary arrangements for transportation and delivery of the requested material. Transportation costs, where charged, should be met by the PI’s research team or School.

To make the process more efficient, we have a Material Transfer Request Form that you can fill in and send to the Contracts Team. This answers the main questions that we would need answers to in order to put the MTA in place.