The purpose of advertising posts is to:
- Encourage suitable high calibre candidates to apply for the vacant post
- Convey the excellent reputation of the University to all candidates (internal/external) promoting Manchester as a 'go to' University
- Promote equality and diversity maximising a pool of suitable candidates.
Where to advertise
For the different categories of post, advice should be sought from People and OD Operations regarding the advertising arrangements in place at the time of recruiting.
If advertising externally, consideration should be given to the methods, budget for and content of the advert. Most posts advertised on the internet include University of Manchester external websites, jobs.ac.uk and other specialist job boards.
Recruiting managers should outline the details of the advertisement using the University’s Advert Template and send this to People and OD Operations. The advertisement must:
- Refer directly to the job description and person specification, providing a clear and concise overview of the vacancy and its main requirements
- Contain a maximum of 150 words in the main body of the advert text
- Indicate the grade and current salary scale
- Include the University's Equality statements and the Two Ticks Disability logo
- Describe clearly how to apply online through the internal/external website and how to access further detailed guidance about the vacancy
- Provide information relating to the provision of alternative formats (all web based material should be accessible to the technologies used by some potential disabled applicants)
- Provide the relevant contact details
- Include a closing date
- Have visible vacancy reference number (this will be allocated by People and OD)
People and OD will confirm how long it will take to process a vacancy request from receipt of the advert template and other required documents (PCM and further particulars) to going live, however this will usually be within 5 working days.
In some cases it will be appropriate to advertise using additional external methods such as a specialised journal or publication to attract the right candidates.
These methods should be discussed with People and OD Operations who will liaise with the advertising agency on behalf of the recruiting manager to agree copy and place the advertisement.
This might mean a longer overall recruitment period due to the limited frequency of these publications.
Where a recruiting manager wishes to advertise in more than one publication an account code will need to be provided for the second and any additional adverts (the first advert will be paid for from the People and OD advertising budget).
Please note that vacancies can only be advertised by People and OD. Recruiting managers should discuss all of the possible advertising options with People and OD Operations.
People and OD Operations can provide further advice on advertising media.