Employee engagement is described in many ways. Generally it is defined as a positive attitude that an employee has towards their organisation and its values. It’s also described as the extent to which employees are motivated, positive about doing a good job and actively seek to be involved in work related improvements.
Engaged employees are more likely to:
- have a desire to give their best
- demonstrate higher levels of innovation, creativity and customer service
- believe in their organisation and its values
- be willing to help their colleagues.
Managers have a key role to play in engaging the people that work for them.
- Quick read – employee engagement
- 10 tips for creating engagement
- Line manager competencies for employee engagement
- Summary of 2019 UoM staff survey
- Action plan template
- Guidance document on action planning
- Manager competencies for Employee Engagement
- Staff Survey - Progress from 2017
- Further reading