Season ticket loans
The University can provide eligible employees with an interest free Season Ticket Loan to enable the purchase of public transport annual season tickets. For even greater savings some transport operators offer special discounts to University employees.
Since the pandemic and the introduction of hybrid ways of working, a number of travel providers have introduced more flexible ticketing options. These may be more affordable for staff only on campus for a few days a week. Visit providers' websites below for more information to find out the best options for you.
You can access free travel on the 147 bus between north and south campus.
How the scheme works
You can apply for a bus, tram, train or “County Bus “ annual season ticket and the University will purchase it on your behalf. You then repay the cost of the ticket by monthly instalments directly from your salary.
How to qualify for a season ticket loan
You must be a salaried member of the University, paid monthly through the payroll system and have a payroll number. Season tickets must be for one year. The maximum value of the loan available is £2,820 or 5% of gross annual salary (whichever is the greater). Applications are subject to individual approval.
How to apply (Rail)
- For current prices please check the National Rail Season Ticket Calculator.
- If you travel within Greater Manchester a GM Traincard may be the best option.
- Northern Rail can organise ANY season ticket for you, whether inside or outside their network or a GM Traincard.
- Please read the Terms and Conditions of the Scheme and then complete the online form.
Tram travel with Metrolink
Summary of scheme
Please read this online guide for general information on the scheme and prices.
Detailed guide for employees who wish to apply
- The employee will need to follow the step-by-step guide and set up their own account at www.getmethere.com
- The employee will then receive an email and must follow the instructions to validate their account;
- The corporate application form will need to be filled out along with the Season Ticket Loan Application. The declaration section will then be signed by HR Services and scanned to your email.
- The relevant paperwork will then be sent to the employee in regards to monthly deductions; this will need to be signed and dated.
- The employee uploads the completed corporate application form and their photo to the website which orders the corporate get me there card.
- The get me there card will be posted to the individual's home address. Once the employee receives their corporate get me there card in the post, the smart ticket can be collected from the smart readers situated at a Metrolink stop.
- The smart card must be presented to the smart reader to ‘touch in’ and ‘touch out’ for each journey made.
Please contact People & OD Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 275 4499.