USS latest: Joint Expert Panel members announced
29 May 2018
UUK and UCU have announced their nominees to the JEP
The JEP has been set up to examine the valuation of the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS). The panel is made up of a chair, Joanne Segars OBE and three nominees each from Universities UK (UUK) and the University and College Union (UCU).
Nominees from UUK include:
- Ronnie Bowie: Ronnie is an experienced actuary, currently Partner (previously Senior Partner) at Hymans Robertson. Since August 2016 Ronnie has undertaken the role of Chair of Court at the University of Dundee.
- Sally Bridgeland: Sally currently combines governance consultancy for Avida International with a number of non-executive and advisory roles including a non-executive directorship at insurer Royal London, at Impax Asset Management plc and Local Pensions Partnership (LPP) Limited, where she chairs its FCA regulated investment company.
- Chris Curry: Chris is the Director of the Pensions Policy Institute (PPI) with overall responsibility for leading and managing the PPI. In 2017, Chris was one of the three co-chairs for the DWP Automatic Enrolment Review Advisory Group. The review looked at ensuring workplace pensions continue to meet the needs of individual savers, and employers, whilst remaining fair, affordable and sustainable for future generations.
Nominees from UCU include:
- Saul Jacka: Saul is a professor of statistics at the University of Warwick and a Turing fellow at the Alan Turing Institute. He has worked in mathematical finance for over 30 years. He is a trustee of a defined benefit pension scheme for non-USS staff at the University of Warwick.
- Deborah Mabbett: Deborah is a professor of public policy at Birkbeck, much of her research has focussed on the relationship between the state and occupational or private pension schemes. She holds a PhD in Economics from the University of Oxford and has previously worked as an advisor to the World Bank in Lithuania and Moldova.
- Catherine Donnelly: Catherine has worked as an advisor on pension scheme valuations and investment strategies for several pension consultancy firms. She is currently an associate professor at Heriot-Watt University, where she heads up the Risk Insight Lab focussing on pensions, investment and insurance research.
The panel is due to commence its work at the end of May. It will meet over the course of the summer, and will aim to submit a report to UUK and UCU in September 2018.
The JEP will be making a regular update for employers and members available.