Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the University of Manchester siteSearch Menu StaffNet
Search type

What files and papers have you got stored away?

04 Jul 2017

Time to identify, own and classify any highly restricted or critical information

As we approach the end of the academic year please plan some time to review the information you are storing.  

Many of the files and papers we keep are copies of information which is held on the primary central record keeping systems (eg Campus Solutions, Resource Link) and often these contain restricted information, such as person identifying information. 

Duplicate copies not only take up valuable digital and physical storage space but also potentially increase the risk of harm to our students, staff and researchers through accidental exposure, eg via email attachments, leading to Data Protection fines and negative reputational impact. 

Help to limit this exposure by deleting or shredding unnecessary or duplicate information. The Records Retention Schedule provides guidance on the minimum retention periods for primary records, and further information regarding secure disposal of confidential waste is also available.

All remaining information which is classified as highly restricted or restricted, or which is critical to University operations, will need to be catalogued in Information Asset Registers by the end of December 2017.  

Local Information Governance Guardians will be in contact to ask for your support in completing this task which is a prerequisite for the more stringent requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation which replaces the Data Protection Act in May 2018. Details regarding information classification, ownership and secure information handling.

With space more than ever at a premium in all areas of the University, the Information Governance Office (IGO) is offering a service across the University for the secure-storage of records that the University is required to keep for administrative, statutory and/or regulatory purposes. This service is open to all areas of the University areas.

Further advice is available from the IGO at