Sexuality Summer School: Queer Arts as Activism
16 Jan 2015
The Sexuality Summer School 2015 (18-22 May) will bring to Manchester an extraordinary line-up of scholars, artists, performers, filmmakers and writers, organised by the Centre for the Study of Sexuality and Culture (CSSC) at the University
The Sexuality Summer School 2015 will bring to Manchester an extraordinary line-up of scholars, artists, performers, filmmakers and writers.
Our public events programme will include:
- Opening Lecture: Gavin Butt (Professor of Visual Cultures & Performance, Goldsmiths)
- Roundtable with filmmaker John Greyson (Associate Professor in Film, York, CA) in conversation with Richard Dyer (Professor of Film Studies, Kings) and Lisa Henderson (Professor in Communication Studies, UMass Amherst)
- Lecture and screenings with writer and filmmaker Sarah Schulman (Distinguished Professor in English, CSI CUNY)
- Performance lecture by photographer and artist Del LaGrace Volcano
These public events accompany the Sexuality Summer School, a five-day event for postgraduates, organized by the Centre for the Study of Sexuality and Culture (CSSC) at the University of Manchester since 2008 and funded by the University of Manchester Faculty of Humanities, Manchester Pride and Screen. The Sexuality Summer School brings postgraduates, researchers and international scholars together with artists and filmmakers to facilitate dialogue and discussions that speak to contemporary debates in queer and feminist sexuality studies, with a particular emphasis on the interdisciplinary study of culture.
The Sexuality Summer School will also include workshops for students with Jackie Kay, Nina Wakeford (Goldsmiths), and members of CSSC at the University of Manchester, including: Jackie Stacey, Monica Pearl, Laura Doan, Daniela Caselli and Kaye Mitchell.
All public events are open to everyone. The public lectures are free and tickets for screenings and performances will be purchasable online through the venues (our website will be updated with all details of times and locations).Registration for the Sexuality Summer School is open to all PhD and Masters students and will go live on 2 March 2015 at estore.manchester.ac.uk. The number of students is limited to 30 so book early to avoid disappointment. Price: £80 (early bird, until 13 March) / £95 (regular). Includes entry to ticketed events.
For more information about the Sexuality Summer School, including details of previous events:
- Visit sexualitysummerschool.wordpress.com
- email firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the mailing list
- Facebook Sexuality Summer School
- Tweet @SSS_Manchester