Directorate of Legal Affairs and Board Secretariat
The Directorate of Legal Affairs and Board Secretariat comprises the Legal Affairs and Governance teams and the President's Office.
Sinead Hesp, Director
t: 0161 275 6023
The Legal Affairs Team is made up of the Director, seven solicitors specialising in a variety of legal areas, and two support staff.
All legal matters in the University are handled by the Director of Legal Affairs and her team, together with the Contracts Team in the Research and Business Engagement Support Service.
The Legal Affairs Team support and provide advice to the University on a variety of matters including:
- Student matters
- Regulatory matters, including health and safety, information governance, intellectual property matters, charity law, risk and compliance
- Employment matters including employment policy and training, pensions, UKVI
- Estates and procurement including commercial property matters, construction matters, regulated procurement matters, State aid
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for advice on which solicitor can help with your legal queries.
Vicki Tolan, Executive Assistant to Sinead Hesp, Director of Legal Affairs and Board Secretariat.
t: 0161 275 6023
Iram Kiani, Solicitor, University Matters
t: 0161 275 8866
Sam Bibby, Solicitor, University Matters
t: 0161 306 9002
David Horan, Solicitor, University Matters and Employment
t: 0161 275 6558
Sara Sawicki, Solicitor – Employment
t: 0161 306 5581
Sandra Milne, Solicitor – Estates and Procurement
t: 0161 275 2786
Sarah Jones, Solicitor – Estates & Procurement
t: 0161 306 8516
Julia Wentlandova, Solicitor – Estates and Procurement
t: 0161 275 2770
Vicki Gallagher, Legal Administration Assistant
t: 0161 275 8866
The Governance Office provides a support service for the following functions:
1. Detailed support to the Registrar, Secretary and Chief Operating Officer (in his capacity as Secretary to the University's governing body) for the work of the Board of Governors.
This is provided by the Deputy Secretary, who also:
- provides advice on all matters associated with the constitution and the arrangements for University governance;
- seeks to promote the attainment and maintenance of high and consistent professional standards for committee servicing in the University.
- Oversees all elections and appointments to the Board of Governors, Senate and the General Assembly
2. Providing advice on the interpretation of the University’s constitutional and regulatory framework as embodied in the Charter, Statutes, Ordinances and General Regulations of the University.
3. Advice on the public interest disclosure policy and procedures (‘whistleblowing’).
4. Advice regarding events that fall within the remit of the Code of Practice on Freedom of Speech at the University, including liaison with the Students’ Union.
5. Leading on the University’s policy framework, including policy development and formulation
6. Liaison with the Head of Data Protection regarding complex Freedom of Information requests.
7. Liaison with the University of Manchester Students’ Union.
Mark Rollinson, Deputy Secretary
t: 0161 306 3772
Sally Ainsworth, Governance Manager
t: 0161 275 7008
Fatima Azam, Office Administrator for The Governance Office and Directorate of Planning
t: 0161 275 2086