Out of hours working - access arrangements in Engineering Buildings A/B
28 Jun 2022
Colleagues looking to work in the new home of Engineering and Materials outside of our normal opening hours should familairise themselves with the following guidance
Outside of normal building operating hours entry to Engineering Building A & B is by swipe card access only, this is to ensure the safety and security of all staff and students. Colleagues and PGRs who require access beyond the stated opening times will therefore need to ensure that their pass has been activated to allow for extended access. Please note that this also applies to technical areas and the internal access doors to the workspace on Floors Three to Six.
Set out below are the steps required for your pass to be activated:
Laboratories, workshops and other technical areas
- Risk Assessment. A risk assessment should be undertaken. If you require support completing this please contact your Safety Advisor or the Safety Team via email@example.com.
- Line Manager/Supervisor Approval. Please discuss your requirements to work outside of the normal building opening hours with your line manager/supervisor and ensure that they are happy to approve your request. In some cases approval is required from your Head of Department, in line with your standard Departmental process. Contact your Deputy School Operations Manager if you need advice or guidance on this process.
Please provide confirmation of approval from your Manager/Supervisor and Head of Department (where relevant) along with your request for card activation to TEAM@manchester.ac.uk.
Office working only
- Line Manager Approval. Please discuss your requirements to work outside of the normal building opening hours with your line manager/supervisor in the first instance and ensure that they are happy to approve your request.
- Risk Assessment. You should review the Faculty’s standard risk assessment for office working and ensure that it’s fit for purpose for your out of hours working arrangements. If it meets your needs, no further action is needed. Should you have any questions about this process or need support please contact your Safety Advisor or the Safety Team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition all colleagues and PGRs are advised to also consider the following:
- FSE guidance on personal safety during lone working and out of hours
- Guidance on lone working from Safety Services
Please note that all occupants of Engineering Buildings A & B are required to complete the mandatory health and safety induction, and where required technical space induction. Access cannot be granted until this training has been undertaken. For any questions about induction please contact TEAM@manchester.ac.uk.
Access to Engineering Buildings A and B is currently managed by the MECD Project Team. Upon completion of the steps outlined above please contact TEAM@manchester.ac.uk to request out of hours access. You will receive confirmation once your card has been activated.