Dr Sarah Mohammad-Qureshi
Charter Marks’ Coordinator (Gender and Race) EDI Advisor
Preferred pronouns She/Her
0161 306 5879 (internal: 65879)
Sarah works across the University supporting work relating to the AdvanceHE’s Athena SWAN (gender equality in HEIs) and Race Equality Charter Marks.
Sarah has worked in the university's central Equality, Diversity and inclusion Team since 2016 after moving from a Researcher Development role in the Faculty of Science and Engineering. Prior to that, Sarah had a long research career in the Faculty of Life Sciences and was a member of the Faculty's Silver Award Athena SWAN Self-Assesment Team.
Sarah's role involves working closely with each of the 9 schools across the three faculties, supporting their Athena SWAN progress primarily. This work intersects with broader EDI actions, producing a more even approach to progression.
Sarah is also responsible for the university's Institutional Athena SWAN and Race Equality Charter work; the university has held a bronze Athena SWAN award since 2008 (renewed three times) and a bronze Race Equality Charter Mark award since 2015 (renewed in 2019).
Being a large university (the largest single-site university in the UK), presents somewhat unique challenges when devising university-wide actions and activities and we have developed ways to ensure we are attuned into the needs of our university community at local levels.
The work of the Charter Marks' Coordinator ranges from sourcing and analysing quantitative and qualitative data, advising on action plans, leading on development programmes and delivering training. Sarah also leads on the university's Athena SWAN Partnership with the University of Ottawa (Canada), the Australian National University and the University of Western Australia as part of Advance HE's International Equality Charters Pairing Network.
Internal Committee MembershipAthena SWAN Self-Assesment Teams:
- The University of Manchester Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
- School of Natural Sciences Athena SWAN Self Assessment Team
- School of Medical Sciences Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
- School of Biological Sciences Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
- School of Health Sciences Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
- Department of Physics and Astronomy Juno and Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
- The University of Manchester Race Equality Self-Assessment Team
- Faculty of Science and Engineering Equality, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility Committee
- Faculty of Humanities Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- School of Natural Sciences Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- School of Engineering Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Department of Physics and Astronomy Equality and Diversity Committee
- The University of Manchester Flexible Working Group
External Committee/Network Membership
Member of the Steering Committee of 'GM4Women2028', a consortium of change-makers in the region, led by Dr Helen Pankhurst (great granddaughter of the suffragette, Emmeline Pankhurst)
Lead for GM4Women2028 'Education' subgroup
Member of the City of Manchester's 'International Women's Day' Steering Group, alongside local politicians, businesswomen and social justice group leaders
Member of the Greater Manchester BAME Women's Third Sector Network
Maternity Action Peer Mentor
Member of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority's new 'Women and Girls Allies Network', having greater involvement in gender equality across the boroughs.
International Equality Charters Pairing Network, partnering with the University of Ottawa, the Australian National University and the University of Western Australia.