Research Staff Specific Links
The University is committed to providing first class development and career support to its researchers underpinned by adoption of the Principles of the Concordat to support the career development of researchers in full. This ambition is made explicit in the University's recently published Research strategy (pdf, 170KB) and in the University's Concordat implementation plan (pdf, 330KB).
- Faculty of MHS research staff handbook
- Faculty of EPS research staff handbook
- Faculty of HUM research staff handbook
- Faculty of FLS research staff handbook
- Incite magazine - Research Staff Skills Training News
- Research Staff Association (UKRSA) - formed in 2011 to support and represent research staff from all faculties at the University of Manchester. UK Research Staff Association (UKRSA) - formed with the support of Vitae to provide a national voice for research staff that informs institutions, funders, and governments, about the most effective ways to support them in achieving their career aspirations.
Professional development as an individual researcher
Research Staff can take advantage of the courses and training through SL&D (Staff Learning and Development) with specific courses, including the Researchers into Management Leadership Development programme (Code: TRIM01). There is also Faculty Support for researchers, MHS, EPS, FLS and HUM and Faculty specific Research Staff Trainers.
Promotion - From Sept 2013, the University introduced procedures for promotion to Research Associate, Research Fellow and Lecturer. The process for application is the same for regular academic promotions i.e. by application against published criteria which is then considered at by a panel at School Promotion Committee.