Good internal communications plays an essential part in making our colleagues feel involved, engaged and valued.
The Internal Communications team in the Directorate of Communications, Marketing and Student Recruitment, is responsible for
- delivering messages and campaigns on behalf of management that are applicable to all colleagues;
- facilitating two-way dialogue between leaders and colleagues;
- developing colleagues communication skills.
We manage all broadcast channels across our University as well as communications to Professional Services staff.
Our channels include:
- StaffNet, our University intranet.
- StaffNet News, this is hosted on the StaffNet homepage and features important news for staff - send us your story.
- eUpdate, our weekly e-newsletter sent to all University staff. This includes an update from our President and Vice-Chancellor, and a summary of the week’s StaffNet news.
- Viewpoint, a blog where senior leaders from across our University can share their thoughts and insights on a range of topics, with the opportunity for colleagues to leave comments.
- Leaders’ Digest, an email communication with important news for leaders.
- A monthly communication sent to staff with no access to a computer
We also look after engagement events for the Senior Leadership Team and Professional Services Leadership Team.
For general enquiries, and to submit stories to StaffNet News, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Internal Communications Team in the Directorate of Communications, Marketing and Student Recruitment:
- Marianne Webb - Head of Internal and Change Communications (interim)
- Mikaela Sitford – Internal Communications and Engagement Officer, Non-PC access staff and campaigns
- Alison Boardman – (currently on maternity leave, Christopher Lee covering) Internal Communications and Engagement Officer, Senior Leadership Team and leaders
- Helen Grew (currently on maternity leave, Richard Brown covering) - Internal Communications and Engagement Officer, Registrar, Secretary and Chief Operating Officer and Professional Services
- Suzanne Ross - Internal Communications and Engagement Coordinator, broadcast channel management
Wider internal communications teams
If you would like to target a specific group of staff you may need to speak to the appropriate internal communications manager:
- Biology, Medicine and Health – Mary McGuigan
- Humanities – VACANT
- Science and Engineering – Rachel Hobson or Danielle Moss
- IT Services – Stella Morris
- University Library – Michelle Sharples
- Student Experience Programme (SEP) – Kim Graakjaer
- Research Lifecycle Programme (RLP) – Fiona Treacey
Internal communications toolkit
We are committed to developing colleagues’ communication skills. To enable us to do this, we have developed our internal communications toolkit.
In the first instance, we may suggest you look through our toolkit to help you plan your communications. The toolkit features an introduction to communication planning, a guide to creating an effective communications plan and a communications plan template.
Working with us
If you would like to work with us, please submit a work request at least four weeks before your request is scheduled to launch to ensure it is delivered on time, and with time factored in to review any changes.
After submitting your request via our online form it will be reviewed against our existing priorities and you will be notified within two working days as to whether we have capacity to support you.
Please note, our ability to work on your request will depend on capacity within the team. We will be in touch as soon as your request has been reviewed.